Sunday 7 September 2014

inner ring road #2 (eccles tram)

speaking in code
on the inner ring road

taking the eccles tram taking the eccles tram
taking the eccles tram taking the eccles tram.

speaking in code
on the inner ring road

i had just turned
one hundred thousand
years old but

i still got all my own teeth
which i keep in a box beneath the seat.

struggling upstream
with the garbage and the geese

finally making my peace
with the water taxis and river police

as i follow the sodium lanterns
into a quay where i wouldn't object to being scattered.

i teach myself to read again and act like i'm on tv again
i teach myself to read again and act like i'm on tv again...
the man across the aisle from me asks me what i make of this century

i stare six feet ahead of me and
shift my box onto the empty seat
i shift my box onto the empty seat.

it starts with thinning at the crown and ends in one of the many rooms of your father's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment